The botanical wealth of the park, with its flowering meadows and aromatic plants, contributes to the creation of an ecosystem within the city favourable to pollinating insects.
The park’s irrigation system uses groundwater from 12 wells placed under the buildings of Piazza Gae Aulenti. The accumulated water is used to generate hot or cold air for offices and residences in the area, and is then used for irrigation systems in the park and pond. This way the water that would be needed from an aqueduct for the park is spared.
The avenues, paths and pavements of the park are designed with state-of-the-art features. The concrete used filters water back into the ground with a drainage capacity 100 times higher than natural flooring, thus respecting the natural water cycle and reloading the aquifer.
A short guide to sustainable practices for visitors:
- Respect nature: do not step on demarcated areas
- Do not throw plastic and other waste on the ground: use the appropriate waste bins
- Do not smoke near the play areas
- Do not drop cigarette butts
- Do not use plastic bottles: fill your water bottle at water fountains
- Do not waste food at picnics